Monday, April 13, 2015

Prom Date

Dear Will,

My son is an openly gay senior in high school.  Everyone knows about his sexuality including the school administration and no one has a problem with it. My son does not have a "boyfriend" but does have a close gay friend that he spends a lot of time with who also goes to the same school but is a year younger. 

Yesterday, he came to me and told me that he was going to the prom, which is this weekend.  I assumed he would be going alone or with a friend, a girl.  But he said he was taking Jason, his gay friend.  I of course and thrilled he has the courage to take someone he likes to prom, but I am concerned that there may be issues with bullying and or issues with the school administration with him bringing another guy to the prom.  I asked my son if he was worried about these things and he said he had it covered.  He has already gotten permission from the principal for the two of them to attend together as well as already told everyone at school.  He says everyone is cool with it.  Am I just being an over protective parent?

Proud PFLAG Mom.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Dear Proud PFLAG Mom,

Your son sounds like a remarkable young man.  It sounds like he has all of his bases covered by checking with the principal as well as other students and faculty, It is wonderful that he is able to be open about his sexuality at a young age and has the courage to attend his senior prom with another guy.  I admire that.  

You do have reason to be concerned.  There is a lot of bullying and jerks out in the world today, but it is also 2015, times are changing for the better.  Relax.  The school is aware of what is going on and will protect them at the best of their ability.  He will be surrounded by friends.  

I hope he has a wonderful time at the Prom and makes many wonderful memories.

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment