Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Roommate from Hell

Dear Will,

I have been living in my apartment for almost three years now. About six months ago I decided to get a roommate to share the expenses.  In the beginning everything was great.  We worked separate schedules so we really didn't see each other very much.  Now, I am working a different shift and we are home together a lot.  He always has his tv or music turned up really loud and has friends over all the time drinking and basically having parties. I don't know these people.  I'm not even comfortable in my own home anymore. How should I handle this?

Devin

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dear Devin,

Being uncomfortable in your own home is never a good thing.  Have you talked to him?  If not, that's the first thing you should do.  Tell him how you feel.  Ask him to respect your space just as you respect his.  Ask him to turn the tv and music down, at least when you're home.  As for him having friends over, as long as he is paying rent he does have the right to have friends over unless there is a clause in the lease agreement stating limitations as to the hours he can have visitors.  Which brings up another question, is he on a lease? If not, and he's not willing to cooperate you may need to discuss other living arrangements.  But communication is a must.

Wll 

No comments:

Post a Comment