Sunday, January 4, 2015

College Decisions

Dear Will.

I have a situation that maybe you can help me with.  I’m 18, a senior in high school and I’ll be graduating this May.  My parents are both accountants and own an accounting firm.  Their plan is for me to go to college to get a degree in accounting and one day take over the business when they retire.  I don’t want to seem ungrateful, but that’s not what I want to do with my life.  I really want to go to college and study architecture.  Should I do what they want since they are paying for college or do I follow my dreams? If so, how do I tell them that accounting isn’t what I want to do with my life?  Any advice would be appreciated.

College Bound

~ ~ ~

Dear College Bound.

Deciding what you want to do with your life is a hard decision; I’m still trying to figure that one out for myself.  You must look at all of your options very carefully.  Luckily you have them narrowed down to two options.  If you choose the Accounting rout you’ll have your parents blessing and a guaranteed job after graduation. Plus one day you will own your own business.  That is a something not everyone is guaranteed and a good thing to have.  If you choose Architecture first you’ll need to have “the talk” with your parents.  Just set down and explain that Architecture is your passion and that’s what you see yourself doing in life.  They have to understand that if your heart isn’t in accounting you’re not going to do well in school and I’m sure they only want the best for you.  Untimely the decision is yours to make and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.


Will

No comments:

Post a Comment